Sunday, February 17, 2013

Whatever, Dude (30M2DoW: Day 17)


I spend my days with little kids.  I like to think it keeps me young.  After so many years of teaching, you'd think there wouldn't be too many surprises.  You'd be wrong, though.

Most are delightful surprises.  Others not so much.

Like the child who used to tell me to "fuck off".  Charming.  His parents eventually pulled him from my class because I was "the worst teacher ever".  Dad was a bouncer at a local bar and he felt it was wrong of me to deny his child the pleasure of pounding other kids simply because they glanced his way.  He thought it was important for his child to learn to defend himself and felt his child was justified in telling me to "fuck off".  Whatever, dude.

Happily, those instances are the exception to the rule.  Most of the kids I work with are engaging, thoughtful, creative people and their parents are appreciative of the work I do.  That's why I left my administrative job to return to the classroom.

But I still worry about what happens to the ones I lose.  The children whose families, for whatever reason, aren't open to what I have to offer to their children.  Sure, I can say, "Whatever dude." But it still hurts.

* * * * * * * * *

Now, head on over to Nicky & CheesyMike's place to see who else is participating in "30 Minus 2 Days of Writing".
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails