Thursday, March 25, 2010

Looking for Signs

It's time again for Theme Thursday and this week's topic is "Signs".



There are a lot of great writers out there participating in Theme Thursday, so be sure to check them out as well.



Lately, I've been starting to feel my age, which happens to be 56.  Most of the time I feel pretty young, especially working with kids, but the signs are there.  I forget that I'm not quite as spry as I used to be... and that can lead to disaster, like falling down stairs.     

So, here are my top signs of aging:

 1.  Like Nora Ephron, I'm beginning to feel bad about my neck... or rather the jowls that are starting to sag beyond my chin.  The bulging chicken neck can only be so far behind.

2.  I sometimes suffer from insomnia, miscellaneous thoughts rattling around in my head.  The only thing that helps is sitting up and doing crossword puzzles in bed until the thoughts are banished.

3.  I can no longer run... a torn MCL and ACL have taken care of that.  When the kids want me to chase them, I just hobble along.  Lucky for me, Hickory the Wonder Dog is older than me in dog years, so I don't have to chase after him any more.

4.  I'm starting to ask, "What?" a lot.  Especially in rooms full of extraneous background noise... like classrooms. 

5.  For many years I've walked into rooms and then wondered why I was there.  The older I get, the more often this happens.  My memory's just not what it used to be.

6.  I'm beginning to walk like Walter Brennan from The Real McCoys, hitching up my shoulders and sticking my elbows out, as I mosey along.

7.  I'm old enough to remember Walter Brennan as Grandpa Amos in The Real McCoys.

8.  I had to resort to one of those medicine boxes that have compartments for every day of the week.  Even with that, it's still difficult to remember if I took my meds or not.  It's also difficult to remember to get the prescriptions refilled before I run out.

9.  I can't see worth shit.  Every year my glasses prescription changes.  (Too bad I'm not fashionable enough to look forward to getting a new look every year.)

10.  I can't remember if I've seen a movie before.  It's not unusual for me to get halfway through a movie before I realize I've already seen it.   The same is true of books.  Several times I've bought books only to find I already have a copy sitting on my shelf at home.

This list could go on and on, but I think I've given you a clear picture here.  There's no avoiding it... sooner or later we all start seeing the signs.   Guess I'll just mosey on out to the kitchen to make myself another cup of coffee to go with the one already sitting next to me.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails